Tuesday, January 7, 2014

THIS COULD BE A DISASTER

The Winter Storm Hercules and the Polar Vortex is really testing my pond skills,  When I left the house this morning it was -6.
  Yes - MINUS SIX.
We haven't seen that low of temperatures in a few years.
The ice was nearly solid over the pond - even with the pump bubbling water in it.  We had to keep breaking the ice periodically last night and this morning. Any built up gases and lack of oxygen is dangerous for the fish unless there is a way for it to get in/out  I am not home today to keep the hole open so lets hope the bubbling water did its job and the fish will survive this extreme cold.

 I am looking forward to the days my pond will look like this again!


1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I do hope all is well with the pond when you make it back home this evening. Be safe out there !!!

    ReplyDelete