Thursday, July 12, 2012

GRASSHOPPERS ANYONE?

We've had the awesome experience of watching a pair of Carolina Wrens from building a nest to feeding their babies and then encouraging them out into the world.  Of all places they chose my hanging basket of geraniums which made it very hard for me to keep them watered.  The wrens nest has a cave like opening so I couldn't just pour water in for fear of drowning the babies.
Needless to say the blooms were pretty pitiful.  Slowly one by one the babies plopped down from the basket to the patio and scurried around for cover while practicing to fly.  Why I didn't get a photo then was pure stupidity!

4 comments:

  1. Awww! Now that they've left, will you place the nest somewhere in the gardens as a decor piece ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through that with a Robin last month! She kept trying to build a nest in a hanging basket and I kept taking all of her stuff out and hanging it from a shrub nearby. This went on for at least 3-4 days before she got the message and built her nest elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet you are to hold off on watering so the babies could fledge and leave the nest. I would do the same.
    Nice to meet you. I will look for your follow button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! That would make watering a problem. What fun to watch them though. Have a wonderful weekend Margy.

    ReplyDelete