Wednesday, November 23, 2011

LAST SIGNS OF FALL

 It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is here tomorrow and time to decorate for Christmas.  I love the fall but Christmas is my all time favorite holiday competing with Halloween.
 Since we enjoy our patio and pond so much I had to add some pumpkins and gourds.  It takes me back to the weekends I spent with my mom and dad at the farm helping sell pumpkins and baskets of gourds.  My dad was a pumpkin farmer in his retired days.  He loved to have the bus full of school kids come to pick their pumpkins. He made a lot of friends along the way who became repeat customers.
 My favorite are the bumpy, lumpy ones!  The light pumpkin is a peanut pumpkin. If you look close it looks like peanuts growing on it.
 As a gardener, I will save the seed from these unusual pumpkins and try to grow a patch myself next year.

 Even after a hard frost I still have a few flowers blooming.  This is a Gallardia growing in the sidewalk garden near the house.  It's been spared from the frost still - being close to the warmth of the sidewalk and brick of the house.  As you can see, I still have bees!  They don't know its Thanksgiving tomorrow.
The is a new Euphorbia I tried this year.  Love the look and as it gets colder it turns a bit redder.

My wish to all my friends and followers is to have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving.  I am truly thankful for the life I live and the friends and family I have.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Margy. I love those bumpy peanut pumpkins too. They just have so much character.Your pond is looking so wonderful. The Euphorbia looks so great with the yellow ball. Wishing you and yours a Blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pumpkins! I love how you have strewn them around the garden!

    ReplyDelete