Monday, October 10, 2011

SWEET AUTUMN

Autumn is in full force here in our yard.  The beautiful orange, red and gold leaves leaves are falling.

 This old hay rake belonged to my grandfather when he was a farmer.  I've loved it ever since I saw it sitting in the brush, along the dirt rode to the back pasture, retired from its duties.   My dad surprised me one day, having it delivered on a flat bed trailer to my home knowing I would make it the centerpiece of a garden.  Which of course I did!  I made a garden on the right side of the front yard next to the driveway.  Everyone driving by can see it and comments on it.

 I planted a Sweet Autumn Clematis on the one end a few years ago.  Sweet Autumn is a hardy clematis that will just about grow on anything.  It's known best for the gazillions of white sweet smelling flowers.
When its in bloom you can smell its sweet scent coming out the front door.

This is a close up of the blooms - they are about 1/2 inch in size to give you some idea of just how many gazillions there are.  Not only is it beautiful, it's so sentimental to me!

2 comments:

  1. That hay rake is phenomenal! What an awesome thing to have as both a memory and a garden centerpiece. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot about that out front! I'm always in a hurry to get to the back gardens! I can't believe how many blossoms that clematis has! It's so great to make your garden personal with things that have good memories attached to them. Love it!

    ReplyDelete