Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Late Spring Garden Favorites

I wanted to share some photos of some of my favorite plants for late spring. Most of my gardens are in full sun and I always have some blooming color for each season. My all time spring favorite is the Allium. Its basically a large flowering onion. (Allium means garlic in Latin).







There are many different varieties of the genus Allium, this variety is 'schubertii'. The blooms are fist size and larger and look like little stars. Sometimes they are referred to as the Star of Persia. They dry nicely and can be used in arrangements.

My second favorite would have to be Clematis. There are more than 200 different species. I only have ten! The best tip to growing a healthy Clematis is to always remember it likes shaded roots. If you plant a bushy type plant in front of it that will help to keep the roots cool.



Some Clematis bloom from old wood and some from new so it also helps to know which kind you have. If you cut it back in the fall, you might be cutting back the chance of more flowers for the next year. I have some of both which makes it a challenge to keep track of. The nice thing about Clematis is there are so many varieties you can have different ones blooming all summer long as the case in my yard.


This one continues to amaze me. No two flower buds look alike.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa! You've been posting up a storm! Your blog looks great, and I'm glad that you're telling me about these flowers in your garden, as we have a lot of planning to do for our back yard. I've added you to my Google Reader account, so I won't miss any future posts!

    ReplyDelete